We’ve been busy this week optimising the loading times for our landing and app pages – our shiny new cloud-based CDN is proving to be a veritable firehose when it comes to delivering high volume at great speed.
Moving the remaining static assets from our own app server to Google’s CDN has sped up much of the stragglers and the long-expiration caching rules mean that once you’ve downloaded a particular asset (and you haven’t cleared your cache), you won’t have to download it again for up to a year. If you’re on a mobile connection, that could save you quite a bit of your monthly allowance. Yay savings!
In addition to performance, we’ve also fixed a number of smaller issues that we’re affecting your day-to-day work.
Here’s a run-down of the nitty-gritty for this update:
- 🏎 Moved Rails-hosted prebuild assets onto the CDN.
- 🏎 Moved some of the client-side 3rd-party functionality onto the server to improve performance & reliability.
- 🐞 Fixed a bug in the Downtime resource selection field – depending on which option you selected in the gear icon, some resources would be unavailable for selection.
- 🐞 We found a bug where some active resources would not be shown in the Reports section, which has now been fixed.
- 🐞 When editing a resource type’s custom fields, the filters would sometimes incorrectly handle filtering for that type in the Schedule view. Not anymore!
- 🐞 One of our servers was running low on memory processing a queue of emails, which resulted in some daily emails not reaching their destination. We’ve identified the issue and thrown in a couple of extra sticks of RAM for good measure to prevent this from happening again.
- 🤧 Some engineers have been suffering from higher-than-usual seasonal flu incidents. They seem to be recovering, but we have attached Fitbits and applied a recurring delivery subscription to tea and lemons to improve reliability & monitoring in the future.